Monday, October 13, 2008

**********VIBE vs. Robin Thicke


In a blog posted in September there was some interesting news about VIBE and their lack of a choice for their magazine cover.

Robin Thicke was denied the honor to be put on their cover for reasons based on his ethnicity?

Woah there Smith!


Thicke commented:
“When I did a recent interview with Vibe magazine I asked, “Why can’t I get the cover? This is a magazine I love. If there’s one magazine that I’d want to be on the cover of, it’s Vibe.” Their response was they don’t have white artists on the cover; that the only white artist they’ve had on the cover was Eminem. I guess if that’s what it is, it is what it is. And I respect that because I live in a house with a black woman.”

They want to stay true to their African American based audience, but Eminem and Mariah Carey have both been on their covers. Thicke was also

Danyel Smith responded:
“We have a great deal of respect for Robin Thicke and his music, and we remain flattered by his desire to be on a VIBE cover. A VIBE cover is a huge milestone in any artist’s career—recent cover stars include Young Jeezy, Mariah Carey, 50 Cent, Usher, Senator Barack Obama, Eminem, Lil Wayne, and Robert De Niro, to say nothing of our 15-year history. We wish Thicke the best, and we’re glad he discusses his thoughts on race and R&B in the new October 2008 issue of VIBE.”

Ciara was then given the cover instead

Grow up VIBE!
I guess there's more issues then I expected over there...

1 comment:

Jack Archer said...

This is flat out racism! Imagine the controversy if TIME or PEOPLE told an African-American he couldn't be on the cover because of the magazines white roots? or because of their primarily white audience?