Tuesday, November 18, 2008

***************Making an Impact Danyel Smith

So coming on here today and seeing this as my last blog, (only before it's graded by my peers) I got kinda sad in a way, feeling like I hadn't made the impact that I wanted to. I felt that my cause was way too out there for this day an age, but at the same time felt that it was such an easy thing to ask for.
I find myself looking more at the magazines while standing in line at the grocery store and wondering how my peers and I would react to a magazine cover with a normal looking person on the cover or in an advertisement. Would I be more inclined to buy it because of its reality or would I inadvertently look past it because they weren't necessarily the "perfect" looking ones?
After this thought I then got upset on our jaded perception of what "perfect" is. This embedded image of perfection is what needs to be changed and I think the place to start with this is in our media....Magazines! I think a huge person responsible is the editor and chief of these publications. This is why I chose Vibe Magazine's Chief Editor Danyel Smith. Vibe is a very successful magazine that is looked up to by the others.
It starts there, with a brave individual who cares about the effects this has on women! Smith is that person and these fake individuals we look at every day need to be the unaltered individuals they started as. Photo retouching needs to be minimized and form there I think so much can change. The retouching of our lives will be minimized as well and all in all our world and our minds will become a healthier place!

No comments: